Saturday, January 19, 2008

Too Much Snow on the Trails

With all of the snow we've had this winter, mountain biking hasn't been an option. I've still been getting out on the trails on snowshoes and XC skis, but I needed to fill the cycling void. The solution - start commuting to work by bicycle. With a 27 mile round trip commute, I'll be able to stay in shape until the trails open up.

The first step was to convert one of the bikes in my stable to a foul weather commuter bike. The perfect choice was my Soma Juice 29er. This bike been collecting dust since a nasty crash on the trails last summer (operator error/incompetence).

I swapped out the RockShox Reba fork and the Thudbuster seatpost and I had fully rigid bike I could use for commuting. Although I'm still running the knobbies, pedaling every inch of the ride, I'm awaiting shipment of some more appropriate commuter tires - Schwalbe Marathon Cross and Schwalbe Marathon Winter (studded). I'll probably use the Marathon Winter tires until the warm weather returns.

For lights, I'm using a Light & Motion Arc Li-Ion on the handlebar. In addition, I have a Dinotte 200L LED light mounted on my helmet. For a tail light, it's a Planet Bike Superflash, a very bright flashing LED with a great price.

Until I get the skinnier tires mounted, I'm using some SKS clip-on fenders. They give the bike an aggressive motocross look, but these will be replaced soon with some SKS full coverage fenders.

No comments: